Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research
Head of Research Unit: Since March 2009 I am head of the ICT research unit within the competence center “‘Emerging Technologies”’ at the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI), Karlsruhe, Germany.
Project Manager: Since June 1999 I am a scientist and consultant for Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), Innovation Research and Technology Assessment at the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI), Karlsruhe, Germany.
Teaching and Pre-doctoral Research Fellow: From December 1994 through January 1999 I have been Teaching and Pre-doctoral Research Fellow at the Institute for History of Technology, RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
Assistant Researcher: From July 1992 through December 1994 I have been an Assistant Researcher at the Institute for Technical Informatics and Man-Machine Systems, RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
Education and Training
Ph.D. degree: Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering (Doktor-Ingenieur, ISCED Level 6) (summa cum laude), RWTH Aachen University, Germany, 29 January 1999.
The thesis Der Computer als Werkzeug und Medium: Die geistigen und technischen Wurzeln des Personal Computers (The Computer als Tool and Medium: The Intellectual and Technical Roots of Personal Computing) was written under the supervision of Prof. Dr. phil. Walter Kaiser and Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Friedel Hoßfeld.
M.Sc. degree: Master of Business and Engineering (Diplom-Wirtschaftsingenieur , ISCED Level 5A) (gut), RWTH Aachen University, Germany,13 April 1995.
The thesis Wachstums- und Beschäftigungswirkungen der Informationstechnik: Europäische und US-amerikanische Technologieförderung im Vergleich (Growth and Employment Effects of Information Technology: A Comparison of European and American Technology Funding) was written under the supervision of Prof. Dr. rer. pol. Karl Georg Zinn.
M.Sc. degree: Master of Electrical Engineering (Diplom-Ingenieur, ISCED Level 5A) (gut), RWTH Aachen University, Germany, 21 April 1992.
The thesis Die ”Tönenden Funken”: Geschichte eines frühen drahtlosen Kommunikationssystems, 1905 – 1914 (The ”Singing Spark”: An Early Wireless Communication System, 1905–1914) was written under the supervision of Prof. Dr. phil. Walter Kaiser and Dr. rer. nat. Jörg Meya.
Secondary School: Allgemeine Hochschulreife (Abitur, ISCED Level 3A), Carl-Duisberg- Gymnasium, Wuppertal, Germany, 29 May 1985.
Surveillance Studies Publikationspreis 2015, awarded by Research Network Surveillancestudies.org for the article “Neurodata and Neuroprivacy: Data Protection Outdated?”, 30 January 2015.
Borchers-Plakette, awarded by RWTH Aachen University for an outstanding dissertation, 30 June 2000.
Rudolf-Kellermann-Preis, awarded by the German Society of Engineers (Verein Deutscher Ingenieure, VDI) for the best German Ph.D. thesis in the history of technology, 26 September 1999.
- 2013 – 2017: COST Action IC1206, De-identification for privacy protection in multimedia content
- 2010 – 2013: Expert group for identifying emerging and future risks posed by new ICTs, European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA)
- 2010 – 2012: Expert Group on the Internet of Things, European Commission, Directorate-General Information Society and Media
- 2009 – 2013: COST Action IS0807, Living in Surveillance Societies (LiSS)
Journal editor and reviewer
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Ambient Computing and Intelligence (IGI Global), since 2008
- Editorial Advisory Board, Telematics and Informatics (Elsevier), 2013-17
- Guest Editor, Science and Public Policy, Thematic Issue on ’Privacy and Emerging Sciences and Technologies’, 2013
- Guest Editor, Computer Law and Security Review, Thematic Issue on ’Emergent technologies and the transformations of privacy and data protection’, 2013
- Guest Editor, Innovation: The European Journal of Social Sciences, Thematic Issue on ’Privacy and Technology’, 2012
- Reviewer for Telematics and Informatics, Science and Public Policy, Foresight: The Journal of Future Studies, Strategic Thinking and Policy, Ethics and Information Technology, International Journal of Foresight and Innovation Policy, Management Research News, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Research Policy, Technology & Culture, Zeitschrift für Unternehmensgeschichte
- Reviewer for the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), call for proposals on “social dimensions of security research” (2009ff.)
Conference general chair
- General conference co-chair for the interdisciplinary conference of the Privacy Forum “Growing up in spaces under surveillance”, 21-22 November 2018, Berlin
- General conference co-chair for the interdisciplinary conference of the Privacy Forum “The Future of the Data Economy”, 11-12 October 2018, Munich
- General conference co-chair for the interdisciplinary conference of the Privacy Forum “The Future Development of Data Protection”, 02-03 November 2017, Berlin
- General Conference co-chair for the interdisciplinary conference of the Privacy Forum “The Future of Informational Self Determination”, 26-27 November 2015, Berlin
- General conference chair for the PRESCIENT final conference “‘Privacy and Emerging Sciences and Technoplogies”’, 27-28 November 2012, Berlin
- Program Co-Chair for International Summer School on Privacy and Identity Management 2020, Brno, Czech Republic, 17-21 August 2020.
- Program Co-Chair for International Summer School on Privacy and Identity Management 2019, Brugg/Windisch, 19-23 August 2019.
Program committee member
- Member of the Scientific Committee and co-organizer for the International Computer, Privacy, and Data Protection Conferences, Brussels, Belgium (2009ff.)
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the IFIP Summer Schools on Privacy and Identity Management (2011ff).
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the IADIS International Conference “‘ICT, Society and Human Beings”’, part of the IADIS Multiconference on Computer Science and Information Systems (2009-11)
- Member of the Program Committee for the International Workshop on Model-Driven User-Centric Design & Engineering at the IFAC/IFIP/IFORS/IEA Symposium on Analysis, Design, and Evaluation of Human-Machine Systems (2007-10)
- Member of the Program Committee for the workshop “‘Mit Leben rechnen. Zur Geschichte des Wissenstransfers zwischen Computer- und Biowissenschaften”’, part of the 39rd annual conference of Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI), 28. September – 02. Oktober 2010, Lübeck.
- Member of the Program Committee for the Workshop on “‘Privacy in Ubiquitous Computing”’, part of the 9th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing, 16-19 September 2007, Innsbruck, Austria.
- Member of the Program Committee for the workshop “‘Architekturen der digitalen Weltbibliothek aus historischer und aktueller Perspektive”’, part of the 27rd annual conference of Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI), 24. – 28. September 2007, Bremen.
- Organiser of the workshop “‘Privacy in the Internet World”’, part of the PACITA Conference 13–15 March 2013, Prague.
- Organiser of the workshop “‘Privacy in the Internet World”’, part of the PACITA Conference 25-27 February 2015, Berlin.
- Organiser of the workshop “‘Data protection and privacy impact assessments “’, part of the 3rd European Technology Assessment Conference, 19 May 2017, Cork, Ireland.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Computer Society, Society on Social Implications of Technology, since 1994
- German Computer Society (Gesellschaft für Informatik, GI), since 1999
- From 1999 until 2015 I was member of the board of speakers of the GI professional group for the history of computing (Informatik- und Computergeschichte).
- Society for History of Technology (SHOT), since 1995
- German Society for History of Technology (Gesellschaft für Technikgeschichte, GTG), since 1999
- At the University of Stuttgart
- Seminar course “‘History of Modern Information Technology”’ (SS 2004)
- Seminar course “‘Victorian Internet and Multimedia – Communication Technologies in the 19th Century”’ (SS 2005)
- At RWTH Aachen University
- Seminar course ”Technology and Economical Development after 1945” (in collaboration with Kai Handel, SS 1998)
- Seminar course ”The computer Zoo: On the History of Computer Architecture”(in collaboration with Prof. Dr. Ir. Boudewijn Haverkort, Department of Computer Science, WS 1997/98)
- Seminar course ”Gutenberg and Cyberspace: On the History of ‘New Media’ ” (in collaboration with Jürgen Lang, SS 1994)
- Laboratory course “Multimedia Technology and Systems” (1992–1994)
- Contributions to lectures on the history of technology in the industrial age (1994–1999), tutorial course
- Contributions to lectures on the interaction of science and technology in history (1995–1999), tutorial course
- Contributions to lectures on Man-Machine Systems (1992-1994), tutorial course
Masters theses directed
At the Technical University Aachen and at the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research, I have been advising a number of students (in computer science as well as in electrical engineering) with their Master’s theses:
- Nanoelektronische Bauelemente: Bewertung aktueller Forschungsansätze und Fertigungsverfahren (2002, Fraunhofer ISI & Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
- Standardisierung in der Computerkommunikation: Vom ARPANET zum Internet (1998, RWTH Aachen University).
- Entwicklung von Time-Sharing Betriebssystemen, insbesondere am Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1997, RWTH Aachen University)
- Die Entwicklung der Glasfaser: Reaktion auf Stagnationserscheinungen in der Telekommunikation um 1960 (1997, RWTH Aachen University)
- Visualisierung ausgedehnter Netzstrukturen: Interaktive Fisheye-Views zur Navigation (1995, RWTH Aachen University)
- Möglichkeiten des Einsatzes von Multimedia-Techniken für Prozeßleitaufgaben in der chemischen Industrie (1994, RWTH Aachen University)
Ph.D. theses directed
- Dara Hallinan: “Can European Data Protection Law Function as a Framework for the Reconciliation of Privacy and Research Interests in the Processing of Genetic Data in Biobanks?” (@Vrije Universiteit Brussels, defended September 2018)
- Philip Schütz: Data Protection Authorities in Comparative Perspective Effective Regulator or Paper Tiger? (@Universität Göttingen)
- Murat Karaboga: “Europäische Datenschutzpolitik: Analyse der Kämpfe um die Datenschutz-Grundverordnung und die Privacy- Überzeugungen der beteiligten Advocacy-Koalitionen” (@Universität Frankfurt)